, Thank you very much. The time invested in practice pays off...
the seat with the Nato Black, then the wash really looks like leather on my screen. Extremely well done. Your close coats are simply spectacular. Talk about a mile deep shine.
The "leather" method I have discovered mistakenly when I was trying to fix a gritty paint job. Then I found out that my "discovery" is "centuries" old and it's being used by figures guys since the prehistory of modeling... Then I've seen it here on Automodeler
as well. Oh well, I cannot claim paternity but I know it works!
That's why I love my urethane: it has fantastic self-leveling proprieties, it's though as nails and the much hatred yellowish tinge can be used in the modeler's advantage, especially over greens, blacks and reds. Since I've learnt how to use it properly, I completely abandoned my car wax! And that's why I was at the border of panic when I realized there's no way I can use it over bright white... The new acquisition Klear Kote
works but... see infraUPDATE
After yesterday successful test with Alclad Klear
lacquer I grew a little over-confident and jumped to do the rear fairings. And that was a very near miss! I did over-spray the saturation coat and I had small runs on both of them.
Fortunately the runs are on the underside (not visible in this picture and probably not easy to spot on the completed model either) but I just cannot live with it and I need to apply a second coat anyhow!
With the lesson learnt from the previous error, I applied the final coat of gloss on the front cowling and that I've got it a dash better:
I cannot put the decals under the clear coat on the front cowling because the design extends over the windshield as well (bummer!)...
I also installed the front lights. As with the taillights, the assembly is snap-tite and trouble free (thank you, Tamiya
But the most rewarding job of the day was applying the decals on the lateral cowlings. Although I spent some two hours and the battery of my camera went dead, I am happy with the result:
The best thing is that my choice of red matched almost to perfection the decal color (I have used Krylon
not the recommended TS-8):
The job wasn't perfect: I need couple of touch-ups where the masking tape gave me a rough edge but that's really marginal:
Also the bottom decals are too long and too narrow and another touch-up is needed along the edges but, again, that is out of sight unless the motorcycle is being displayed on a mirror (well, mine it's going to be displayed on a mirror
). With the hindsight, I should anticipate the trouble with the wrapping black decals and I should have masked and sprayed with gloss black. But what I've got it's perfectly workable and no drama, just a little extra work!
So, if the modeling gods are on my side, I'm gonna wrap this build before the weekend starts and I can return to my less fortunate Mack DM600
But you don't go anywhere yet, because one more update and the completed model pictures are yet to come. And let's not forget the feature cover that I'm going to reveal it on here first!
Thanks for following!