Glad I could share my deck technique, guys. The other nice thing is since the Detailer is water soluble, it will clean up even after it dries.
We all mess up and this stuff is very forgiving. In fact, sometimes I'll let the whole thing dry with some fairly harsh lines, and then go back and "blend" it with a moist Q-tip or finger.
Okay, so now for an actual update!
First, is the picture posted of the aft and quarter deck area with nothing on it, followed by a picture with the large boxes mounted. I apologize that I took the shots from two different sides- I didn't really think of these comparison shots until I uploaded the new picture. They'll be consolidated from now on.
There are actually a lot more of the large boxes that I've mounted, but they're on turrets and upper decks. You'll see them when I get to those dedicated sections of the build log.
Today, I will mount the smaller boxes and a bunch of vents. I think it's good to show this build sequence like this as I'm not kidding when I say there are literally hundreds
of these deck items total. However, I'm not complaining. I'm not a fan of molded on deck details in 1/350, as the scale is big enough to discern the physical space of an object. When you look at these items, from various angles, they look like things sitting on, or attached to, the deck- not molded to the deck, which would be unrealistic.
Plus, if I didn't have the wood decks and actually had to paint the deck, I would much rather cut out the stuff and mount it separately, than have to mask all of these things off.
Lastly, these items haven't been dull coated yet, as I'm waiting for them to all be mounted, thus their shininess and darker appearance (this also applies to the shiny parts where the CA glue is seen or the deck has been "buffed" during mounting).
Onward and upward!